AIRBORNE

Always In Readiness By Overt Retraining Never Ending
As a Paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division, 1960-64, this phrase was drilled into us.  I think I took "Basic First Aid" like 8 times in the 4 years I was in.
These days, the phrase best describes my range training, as I do tactical training on my home range:


How many of you could switch from right hand to left hand with your rifle, as you do a tactical range exercise? When I started, it took a long time between each shot before I could bring the “new eye” to bear on the target. Now, it is just 2nd nature.
Why be able to shoot with the left hand/eye when I am shooting alright with my right hand/eye? There is no guarantee that I would be able to see with my right in a firefight. A friend who is an Army Ranger once described having dirt thrown in his right eye by a richochet round in Iraq, and he had a hell of a time bringing his rifle to bear as a leftie.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog